Monday, January 25, 2010

Zagreb, Croatia

I moved to Orlando 17 years ago, and after all these years living here I still have my Eastern European accent. My English improved  quite a bit through the course of the years, although I still make grammatical mistakes.  So very often that when I meet someone new here, they ask me where I'm from. It's hard for them to detect it through my accent, because it's softer than Russian. I tell them that I was born in Croatia. When I came here very few people knew where it is, in spite of the war that was still going on there, and it was all over the news  here. Only in the last few years, since the tourism again is the top force in the Croatian economy, and many cruise liners stop there on their Mediterranean Cruises,  more people actually know where it is, or they've visited the country. Many of them said they'll do it again. I don't blame them, knowing what a beautiful country it is, and what it has to offer.
When we visited my home town Zagreb two years ago, after one long summer walk through the streets of the old part of the city, my oldest daughters, 12 at the time, exclaimed; "I'm jealous of you and daddy growing up here and enjoying your childhood years in this city!"
It's a small country, but packed with diverse natural beauty, delicious gastronomic offers, many preserved ethnic customs and known Croatian hospitality.
Sometimes pictures say more than words, and here is a wonderful video that shows the city where I was born in the winter season (the time of the year I don't miss, being spoiled living in Florida).

No comments:

Post a Comment