Saturday, March 19, 2011

Maitland Art Center




Last Thursday I delivered some of my fiber art works and peyote stitch necklaces to the Maitland Art Center Gift Shop. The Maitland Art Center was founded in 1937 by Jules Andre Smith as an art colony. It is located about eight miles from downtown Orlando. The center includes over 20 buildings, courtyards and gardens in the so-called Mayan Revival style that was favored in the 1930s in Florida. The Center is also recognized by the State of Florida as an historic site and is entered in the National Register of Historic Places.
Two of my favorite spots are the Chapel and the Mayan Courtyard.

March is just a gorgeous time of the year here in Central Florida and that morning was not an exception. Sunny sky without even a smallest cloud anywhere to be found. I enjoyed the company of my husband, who luckily had a day off work and could join me for a little morning sightseeing.

Three months from now we're celebrating our 20 years wedding anniversary, and I was  joking that we should redo our wedding vows at this peaceful place.  We got married in Croatia with all the traditional hoopla that went with it. We had around 250 guests at our reception that went on all night. By eight in the morning I lost my voice completely. Yes, we have some great memories, and it's hard to believe that it happened 20 years ago.
Looking at it now after so many years I would prefer a much smaller ceremony in some  outdoors place like this one and keep it simple.



























No comments:

Post a Comment