Friday, April 22, 2011

Fragments

"Fragments" - that's how I named my recently made series of cuffs. The name came instantly by itself , just as I was taking photos of the finished pieces. All these different beads I used, separated by design and then connected again with embroidery threads.


fragment - noun
  1. a part broken away from a whole; broken piece
  2. a detached, isolated, or incomplete part
  3. the part that exists of a literary or other work left unfinished
It brings me thoughts about our lives. All of us that got separated from our families, countries, by choice, or by circumstances. We're fragments, parts broken away from extended families, places of birth. Yet, we still have connections, our threads that link us back to them. 

Looking at my kids growing up, I can't escape thinking about the future. They will leave one day, following their lives, taking little fragments of my soul with them.

Fragments in beige

Fragments in brown

Fragments in green

4 comments:

  1. I think these are wonderful and creative; the idea behind them is a very thoughtful and unique concept. The 'fragments in brown' has such rich colours, I love it!

    My mother has ... often told me the same thing. When I think about it, I think she would love something like this. When I work up the courage to open commissions, I'd love to save up the money to purchase something by yourself for her birthday. I've admired your work for some time now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, dear Ophelia for your wonderful comments.
    I appreciate your thoughts. Don't be afraid to open commissions. We have to try many things in our lives before we decide witch road to take. Being talented in arts is a wonderful gift, that is unfortunately often not as appreciated as some other traits and personal qualities.

    ReplyDelete