Monday, August 22, 2011

Dodo stuffies and hurricane worries

Here they are. First two stuffies made with Spoonflower printed fabric. I ordered 100% organic cotton sateen , and I like the feel of it. They're filled with polyester fiberfill. Their size is 11"x8".
They're listed in my Etsy shop.





This morning I'm watching the changed forecast for hurricane Irene. It changed significantly overnight. I can only hope that it will move more towards east and lessen its impact on Florida. Orlando is only about 50 miles inland from the east coast, and that is not much in this case.
Hurricane Charley in 2004 is still very fresh in my mind, and all the horror it produced. I can still remember a sound of wind ripping off my roof in the darkness of the night. Our tall palm trees snapped in half like matchsticks. Pool screen enclosure collapsed under the fallen palm tree and it all ended in the pool. My kids and dog were terrified, bundled under the staircase  in the middle of the house.
Up until that  morning Charley's track wasn't going over Orlando. It was supposedly going over Tampa. So naturally many left Tampa and drove to Orlando. As the day progressed Charley took a right turn aiming straight for us. There wasn't anything that we could do, except wait and hope that impact won't be harsh.
Since we got here in '92 Florida natives always told us, don't worry, hurricanes don't do much damage inland. All the trouble is on the coast. Hurricane season of 2004 proved them wrong, it was quite a mess.
It was impossible to get a new roof. It took us nine months, and for the new screen enclosure more than a year. Dealing with contractors was a nightmare.

So watching this track this morning gives me a very familiar uneasy feeling.


2 comments:

  1. How scary that must have been! Be safe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was quite scary. Looks like we might be spared this time. Projected track is moving away from us.

    ReplyDelete